Thursday, December 24, 2009

All I want for Christmas is ...

Maggie has determined that Christmas is the right time to get a tooth.  Or at least I hope that is what is going on with her.  Monday and Tuesday she woke up at 2:00am and eventually went back to sleep around 3 or 3:30.  Last night she went to bed at 8:30 and was in her crib by 9:00.  I know better than to be thankful that both children are in bed by 9.  That almost always means something will happen. For example, the first time this happened, Maggie came down with her 1st cold and was up most of the night.  The next time it happened (this past Monday night) Izzy threw up all over herself and needed a bath at 4 AM.  This time, Maggie slept from 8:30 PM to 11:30 PM and that was it.  DONE!  We went to bed at 11:30, discussed plans for Christmas Eve and just as we closed our eyes, Maggie called.  And it wasn't to say "I love you."  I got up, for certain that she would go back to sleep fairly quickly.  The next 1.5 hours go like this... rock to sleep, lay down in crib, cry, pick up, repeat.  Finally at 1:00 AM, I warmed her up a bottle.  She took most of it, I rocked her to sleep, laid her down, she cried.  Rinse and repeat the rock, lay, cry, dance.  At 2:00 AM I finally went down stairs.  I didn't want to risk waking Izzy and had some General Hospital I could catch up on.  Then I started to worry because she had drank the last bottle and there was none thawed out and what would happen if she didn't fall asleep soon and need some more to eat. 

I got 4 bags of milk out of the freezer, put them in the sink, and started to run cold water.  I went back to the living room, walking with her, trying to convince her to shut her eyes.  The dishwasher was running and it sounded like it was leaking.  So, I went to the kitchen to see what the noise was.  Notice earlier, I started the water.  But, I didn't turn it off.  I was trying to make a swimming pool in our kitchen.  OMG!  Water everywhere.  All over the counter, running down the cabinet, on to the floor, almost to the fridge.  There was NO WAY I was going to be able to clean this up and hold Maggie at the same time.  And, since she was crying every time I put her down, I now needed an extra set of hands.  I had to wake Luke up.  By this point it is 2:30 AM.  I got the mess cleaned up, but by this time, I was also a mess and had to take care of some business that I have been trying to shut down since Monday. 

At 3:00ish AM I went to bed.  I did not fall asleep.  I could still hear Maggie crying.  At 4:00 AM I got back out of bed.  I gave her some pain reliever and she finally fell asleep around 5:15, or so.  I drifted off with her and got back up around 5:45 to shower since I had to come into work.  Yes, that is 30 minutes of sleep.  After I showered I looked in her mouth and I do believe there is finally a tooth on the top.  I gave her some ora-gel and she slept in her pack-n-play until it was time to leave around 7:15.

We are all beyond tired now.  Except Izzy.  She got some solid sleep, somehow.

This is not how I wanted to start our Christmas celebration, but I am still thankful for my beautiful children and my husband and all the other stuff that just happens to come along with them.

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment