Thanksgiving has come and gone. We watched the parade at home and then headed to my mom and dad's for lunch. While it was hard not to be at their house for actual Thanksgiving dinner, having lunch there worked out well. We ate pretty much the same amount of food for lunch that we did for dinner!! Out of my 31 years of life, I have only missed one Thanksgiving at home. So even though we didn't eat dinner there, we still got to be there and visit and eat, most important! The best part about having both sets of our parents close by is that we get to see them alot. That also means our holidays are very busy and sometimes we have to compromise.
We headed up to Luke's mom and dad's for dinner. There was no shortage of food, every thing was excellent, but I would say my favorite was Nikki's sweet potatoes. Could it be because they were made with Marshmellow Fluff? I'll never tell! The oldest of the grandchildren (Henry, Izzy, and Laney) had an official kids table. We told Henry he was in charge and for the most part they did very well.
On November 28, Luke was installed as the Worshipful Master of his Masonic Lodge. He has worked very had on their new Lodge building and it looked wonderful. I took that opportunity to dress the girls in matching outfits. Sadly, I don't have a picture of them together. We were all dressed up and just as we were getting ready to have a family picture taken, it was discovered that about 8 people had their cars towed. Fun times! So, as Luke ironed that out, we headed home. We made up for the family photo and had some taken yesterday! Watch the blog for the link to view those pictures later this week. We celebrated Davey's birthday on December 2nd with a family dinner at Bob Evans. All 13 of us. It is amazing to see how quickly the Hunter family of 5 has grown to 13!
And, since this is about giving Thanks....
A giant thank you to my parents. When I was pregnant with Izzy, my biggest fear was finding daycare for her. I couldn't imagine leaving my (then) 6 week old child with strangers. I couldn't imagine the financial impact that was going to have on us. For the past 3 years my parents have watched Izzy and also now Maggie. I'm sure when they retired they didn't think the would be thrown back into a full time job, with no pay, again! Even with a 2 working parent household, day care was pretty much not going to be an option. It probably would have been cheaper for me to quit my job, give up a car, go without cable, and possibly electricity to afford it!
Also, a giant thank you to my in-laws. For the first year (or so, I don't remember!) they also helped out with watching Izzy. They would take her on Wednesday's which gave my parents a break during the week. When Davey went back to work and the on-line business began picking up, it was hard for them to watch her. But, they have really been a great help when we needed a back-up plan. When my mom had all of her eye surgeries earlier this year and my dad had all of his doctor appointments these past few months, they have stepped up to take the girls and it was very much appreciated!
Lastly, please keep my sister-in-law, Sam, in your thoughts. She is back in Afghanistan and will be there anywhere from 60 days to 6 months. I hate that she had to leave at this time of year and miss the holidays. She and my brother had planned to spend Christmas in Wisconsin with her family, which I know they have not done in a while, possibly ever. Instead she will be in Afghanistan and hopefully my brother will be here with us. I am very thankful that she has safely made it to and from Iraq twice and Afghanistan once. Let's bring her home safely again, please and thank you, in advance!

No comments:
Post a Comment