On Saturday, September 13, 2008 I was home with Izzy while Luke was off at a corn-hole tournament. I had purchased and used several home tests that had all come back negative. I had one more and I used it on a whim. It came back positive and I got so excited that I dropped my cell phone and the battery went sliding across the floor. Izzy had no idea what was happening and was jumping right beside me. I went to the store and bought another test, just to be sure. When Luke got home, he was a little drunk, but I had to tell him. He ran out the next day and bought Izzy a shirt that said “Big Sister.” She wore that shirt to the Hunter house and then again to the Baker house to make our announcement. It was also my mom’s birthday. I didn’t want to steal her thunder, but what better gift could I give?
I’ve never had the opportunity to say “my water broke.” I’ve been induced twice. On May 12, 2009 we arrived at the hospital at 8:30am. Things probably got started around 9 or 9:30. I was happy it was a weekday because there would be more to watch on television. I was in labor with Izzy on a Saturday and there wasn’t much on. I don’t remember the time line of things… when they started the drugs, when they broke my water, when I got the epidural. I do remember the epidural hurting a lot worse this time, shooting pains down my back and legs, but once it was in, there was no more pain for the rest of the day. My brother got to be there this time. I think he was amazed and confused all at the same time. The Hunters and the Bakers filled the waiting room, once again. Filtering back to our room, two by two, just to see how things were going. I’m sure they kept Tim Horton’s in business that day. The fire alarm went off at some point. I announced that the baby could be born anytime between 4 and 8pm, after General Hospital but before American Idol.
They “checked” me and I was around 7 centimeters. Luke decided to visit the waiting room, perhaps get a cup of coffee, and he told everyone he would keep them posted on my progress. When he came back in the room I was at 9.5. He was gone for maybe 10 minutes. He ran back to the waiting room to let everyone know it wouldn’t be much longer. On cue, my mom showed up. So excited she was crying. They had to shoo her out of the room. SHOW TIME. As we were waiting for the doctor to get there and for them to get the room ready for our new arrival, I got really nervous. I started to panic about how Izzy was really going to handle the new baby. I started feeling bad for her because she was use to being the only child and the center of our world. But, the time had come; it was time for the baby to be evicted. I don’t think I pushed for too long, but it didn’t matter because I had the epidural! At 6:22pm, Maggie DeeAnne Hunter was born. And instantly we were a family of 4. After meeting her family, Aunt Nikki gave her her fist bath and then it was just us.
Luke wanted to stay but he needed to be home with Izzy too. I was nervous about being there the first night alone. My epidural hadn’t worn off completely and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get to her if she needed me. She slept long enough for it to wear off and we got along quite well.
I’m sad that the day is hazy to me now. The next 6 weeks are also a bit hazy, except for that 3 day stay at Children’s for the eye infection. As per usual, I’ve taken a ton of pictures, but haven’t had time to make ONE scrap book page for Maggie; Izzy’s last page is from March 2009.
We have successfully kept 2 children alive for a year. They are wonderful and challenging and healthy and everything I ever wanted.
To see Maggie's 1 year pictures, click here.

No comments:
Post a Comment