Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Thanksgiving Turkey

Maggie had her one year appointment today.  She is 26 pounds, 30 inches.  She's a big girl.  As big as a Thanksgiving turkey that would feed a small town.  But, she is healthy and that is really all that matters.

Today, I officially became that mom.  That mom that sends her kid to school with pinkish eyes.  The one that wants to infect the other 6 kids in her class.  We've never dealt with pink eye.  I have no idea what it looks like.  She also complains of a sore throat and has a runny nose.  Luke thinks maybe it is allergies.  I don't have allergies, so I don't know what those look like either.  Either way, I sent my daughter to school with possible pink eye.  NICE ONE! 

You know what else I did?  I signed her up for an "end-of-the-year" field trip.  Not so bad of an idea on the surface.  I found the permission slip in her bag, it was due last week.  I filled it out, got money for the fee and dropped it off at school.  This trip is for the 4-5 year old class, but all kids are invited.  So are their parents.  I was already late to work last week to take Maggie to the doctor.  I was late today, and now leaving early, for doctors appointments again.  I can't possibly take Friday off to go on this field trip.  I signed my 3 year old up to go on a field trip and I'm not going with her.  Who does that?  I wanted her to go and have fun.  But I didn't think it all the way through.  Now that I have had time to think about it, she is not going on the trip.  There is no way.  First, she is still so young.  I know the teachers will take good care of her and watch out for her, but I fear that she will wonder why everyone else has a parent with them except her.  Second, I don't know if any of the other kids in her class will be going.  She would be with a totally new group of kids, with no parent.

So far today, I'm not winning mother of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment